Edgar Reed Bungalow
Site History and Historic Significance of “The (Edgar) Reed Bungalow” and it’s Relationship to Lewis Reed’s Original Rockville Garage
The property is directly linked to Lewis and Edgar Reed, individuals who have influenced the City’s history. Located a short distance from Reed Brothers Dodge, the house was the residence of Edgar Reed from circa 1923 to 1947, encompassing the most productive period of Reed’s co-ownership of the business during which it expanded from a small-scale garage and dealership to one of the largest and most recognized commercial enterprises on Rockville Pike. The property itself retains integrity despite the change in neighborhood setting, and is the only remaining building from the period in which the Reeds established their business. This direct association with the Reeds and Reed Brothers Dodge supports designation of the property under Criteria: Historic Significance C. Accordingly, staff finds that the property meets the criteria for designation under Criteria: Historic Significance C, is identified with a person or group of persons who influenced the City’s history.
The Historic District Commission Staff Report on the following extracted pages provides site history and discusses its historic significance. The full PDF version of this report can be found online: md-rockville.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/15877