1915 Rockville Garage First Gas Station – A Single Pump
This page consists of photos which I have been able to piece together on the history of Reed Brothers’ filling stations. In 1915, they began selling gas at their original location at the intersection of Veirs Mill Road and Rockville Pike. Their first “gas station” consisted of a single pump. Later (circa 1917), they became an authorized Texaco Filling Station and sold Texaco gasoline, also from a single pump. At some point prior to 1920, Reed Brothers Dodge changed over from selling Texaco and became a Gulf Gasoline dealer. Reed Brothers carried Hudson and Oldsmobile, Goodyear tires, General Electric appliances, and had the first Gulf gas station in the still-rural Washington D.C. area.
1915 Rockville Garage First Gas Station – A Single Pump. View looking west on Main Street of Rockville showing early Trolley car.
1917 Reed Brothers Dodge Texaco Filling Station
1917 Original Rockville Garage with 2 story addition. Note the Texaco Filling Station signage and the Texaco Petroleum fuel truck refilling the single pump in front.
1917 – Texaco Petroleum Truck “posing” in front of Rockville Garage. In the background is Old St Mary’s Church
1922 Reed Brothers Dodge Gulf Gasoline
Reed Brothers Dodge was the first Gulf gasoline dealer in the Washington, D.C. area. Later, in addition to gas, they carried a full line of Gulf lubricants, Goodyear tires, Willard batteries, complimentary road maps, free air and water, and many other well known brands of merchandise to meet their patrons needs.
Reed Brothers Dodge got a new facelift and remodel in 1921. The original part of the garage was converted into a new car showroom and the service operation was moved out into the rear portion of the building. Note the modern gas pumps.
“That Good Gulf Gasoline” drive-through filling station circa late 1920s
Late 1920’s front with Gulf Gasoline drive-through filling station. Note the unpaved dirt road on Rockville Pike and trolley tracks.
Late 1920’s. In front is a large sign that reads “That Good Gulf Gasoline”. In the background is the old St Mary’s Church and Cemetery in Rockville.
1920’s Reed Brothers Dodge at the Triangle in Old Rockville at the intersection of Veirs Mill Road and Rockville Pike with Gulf Gasoline drive-through filling station. Trolley car tracks can be seen on the right on Rockville Pike.
1936 After World War II with a New Front
Reed Brothers celebrated the end of World War II with another new facelift and a whole new look.
Reed Brothers Dodge canopied Gulf Gas Station circa 1936. A closer look reveals the price of gasoline as 15 cents. On the right attached to a telephone pole is a sign pointing the way to Olney. In addition to the Gulf signage there is a small, barely visible sign below that promotes, “Clean Rest Rooms”.
Reed Brothers Dodge canopied Gulf Gas Station circa 1936. View Rockville Pike side
Reed Brothers Dodge canopied Gulf Gas Station circa 1936. View Veirs Mill Road side.
Reed Brothers Dodge 1960s
Due to changes in the highway, Reed Brothers began an extensive remodeling and rebuilding program. Two-thirds of the original location at the junction of then Route 240 and Veirs Mill Road was razed and a modern Gulf Service Station was erected.
Below is a mid-1960′s photo of the Reed Brothers Dodge Gulf Gasoline station. The famous Gulf “ice box” design dates back to late 1930’s and there were probably more of these built than any single one of the later Gulf designs. A Coca Cola machine is visible in front of the white Dodge Dart parked in front of the service bay. The sign in the grass on the right reads, “We’re Making Deals on Gulf Tires”.
Reed Brothers Dodge Gulf Gas Station circa mid-1960s
Gulf Gas Postcard