1928 Dodge Brothers Standard Six
This 1928 Dodge Brothers Standard Six was a vehicle from Reed Brothers private collection of automobiles. It fell into the hands of Lee Gartner over 40 years ago from an upper Montgomery County, Maryland used car dealer at the price of $100. In dealer ownership for over forty years, this vintage car was restored and maintained over the years by Reed Brothers Body Shop and Service Department.
The history of the Dodge Brothers marque began in 1914. During their first year they introduced the ‘Old Betsy’ known for its reliability and durability. A total of 249 examples were created during the company’s first year. The name ‘Dodge Brothers’ was used from 1914 through 1927. In 1928 it was acquired by the Chrysler Corporation and its name was changed to ‘Dodge’.
The Standard Six carried an $835 factory price and was powered by a 6-cylinder; L-head engine rated at 27.34 hp. The fully restored 1928 Dodge was proudly displayed on the showroom floor, and for many years served as a wonderful conversation piece. It had only 46,504 original miles on it and still ran well until it was sold in 2012.