How Dodge Street in Rockville Got Its Name
In honor of Lewis Reed, one of Rockville’s pioneer automobile dealers: The state of Maryland named the connector street behind the dealership’s original location, “Dodge Street” because Reed Brothers Dodge was located there for so many years (1914-1970).
The connector street was so short that Lewis Reed joked, if the state wanted to name a street after him the street needed to be longer. Hence the street was named, “Dodge Street”. Maryland Route 660 is the unsigned designation for Dodge Street, which runs 0.05 mi from Rockville Pike (MD 355) north to Veirs Mill Road (MD 28) in Rockville.
When the state of Maryland widened the roads in 1970, Reed Brothers Dodge relocated from its original location at the triangle at Veirs Mill Road and Rockville Pike to a new complex on Route 355 in Rockville. The dealership’s original site is now the Veterans Park. (click images to enlarge)