Lewis Reed was not an aviator, but he obviously saw great potential in taking photographs from the air. The black and white aerial photographs below of Reed Brothers Dodge at its original location were taken by Lewis Reed from a Goodyear Blimp that came to the dealership in 1938 to promote tires. The images are quite possibly some of the earliest known aerial photographs taken of Rockville. (click on photos to enlarge)
Aerial view of entire original Reed Brothers dealership at the intersection of Veirs Mill Road and Rockville Pike. A two-story house stands behind the dealership. Photo by Lewis Reed.
Later aerial view showing the used car lot where previously stood a two-story house. St Mary’s Church at lower portion of photo. The connector street behind the dealership was later named “Dodge Street” in honor of Lewis Reed because his dealership was located there for so many years (1914-1970). Photo by Lewis Reed.
Original Reed Brothers facility in the triangle at the intersection of Veirs Mill Road and Rockville Pike. Note the unpaved dirt road. The bridge, often referred to as “Pigeon Bridge” crosses the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (now CSX). Notice the cars parked sideways on Veirs Mill Road … imagine that now! Photo by Lewis Reed.
Original Reed Brothers facility with St Mary’s Church and Cemetery at upper portion of photo. The road at the bottom is Rockville Pike which then turned to the left to become old East Montgomery Ave. The next road in the picture going back is Veirs Mill Road just before it merges into Rockville Pike, and the road in the back is Baltimore Road which crossed the tracks until 1935. Photo by Lewis Reed.
An aerial view looking over Rockville. The Red Brick Courthouse tower can be seen top left. East Montgomery Ave. is on the left and Commerce Lane to the right. At 12 o’clock is the bank building which still stands today across from the old Post Office, now the Rockville Police Department. Photo by Lewis Reed.
This aerial image of Rockville appears to be the opposite perspective as the one above. The Confederate Monument is visible in the triangle at bottom left and the Red Brick Courthouse tower is across the street on the right. Photo by Lewis Reed.
This photo was not taken by Lewis Reed. The triangle-shaped property was the longtime home of the Reed Brothers Dodge dealership before the site was acquired by the State of Maryland to widen the roads in 1970. The state of Maryland named the connector street behind the original location, “Dodge Street,” commemorating Reed Brothers’ presence from 1914-1970. The dealership’s location today is now known as Veterans Park.
2012 – Google Earth Aerial view showing the original location of Reed Brothers Dodge, now Veterans Park.